Sunday, August 19, 2007

To keep your marriage brimming,
With love in the loving cup,
Whenever you're wrong, admit it;
Whenever you're right, shut up.
~Ogden Nash, born 105 years ago today

Cruising the FSJ blog, I found this very decent description of geeky guys' ideal women:

The one thing that glossy girls never seem to understand is that what really
turns on a geek is brains. We like smart women. Really smart. Given the choice of cute and dumb versus not-cute but smart, we'll go for the smarty every time. Or, like me and you and many others, we'll hold out and get a woman who's both incredibly beautiful and extremely smart. But smart is the main thing. It's the primary thing.

It mentions Marissa Mayers, ignorant me, I didn't know WTF that is, but one mildly ironic googlesearch later, I found the Experience Planner blog's take on Marissa's 9 Notions of Innovation. Wow. That is one deliciously snarky--and informative piece of blogging. I think it might actually define the art form. The 9 Notions are listed, and sort of defined in this very mocking way, with several artful pokes at the growing cult icon that is Google.

For me, the satire, the cheekiness binds the underlying facts more tightly in my memory. IMHO, that's the most obvious value of The Daily Show and its ilk.

For the record, I'm married to a brainy woman. I like to call her The Divine Philosopher. She's lovely to look at, she's a free spirit and practical, and she's one of the smartest people I know. My favorite part of being with her is that I get to be myself.

No comments: